I wanted to share this earlier but i realised that I’m not really confident if thats what I need. Now that I’ve gone through it here’s my list of suggested items:
Some points to note, I stayed in KKH for 2 nights, in a 4 bedder room (Class B).
- the most important stuff in this entire list. Admissions paperwork can be done in your third trimester, I suggest you get it done and select which bed you’d prefer prior to labour. It’ll decrease any uncertainties.
- Identity Card of both you and your husband
- Original marriage certificate (you will need this if you’d like to register your child’s birth. Zion was born on a friday evening so we couldn’t register his birth until Monday)
- Cord blood registration (optional if you decided to donate your baby’s cord blood through the Singapore Cord Blood Bank or through other private institutions to save it for your baby’s use.
- Toiletries: include toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo and body wash etc. (KKH provides a small toiletries bag but up to personal preference)
- Face and bath towels
- Comfy slippers (I brought those from hotels)
- Going home clothes (1 set), includes underwear, nursing bra
- Breast pads (2-3 pairs) really depends if you had a lot of breast milk. I didn’t get to use mine then.
- Snacks: the hospital would provide the 3 meals and tea breaks. But you can bring this along in case your labour gets too long or you get hungry in the middle of the night
- Handphone charger x
- Breastfeeding pillow (optional) It will be good to bring it along since there are lactation consultants running around 24 hours during my stay there. They would be able to tell you how to use your pillow more effectively. I’m still mastering how to place my baby when I latch him on my boob.
- Foldable bag for all your gifts and presents (optional)
- Going home clothes (1 set): Make sure you include a full body suit, mittens, booties
- Blanket for swaddling your baby home (I used the one that KKH gave as a gift)
- Small napkins (in case baby spits up on his/ her way home)
- Baby wipes (the hospital provides a standard pack for us. We also got to bring home the remaining amount that hasnt been used)
What the hospital provides
- Baby diapers (For baby’s use in their stay, remainder can bring home)
- Sanitary pads for mothers. Mothers will be having period for the next 1 month. The initial flow is super heavy so you will need to use these pads.
- Disposable panties. I didn’t want to wear them but it proved to be so useful when you’re bleeding profusely for the first couple of nights.
- Wet wipes
- Toiletries (only for Class A and B wards)
- Diaper bag (includes samples from various sponsors)
I hope this list helps those mommas to be. I packed too many items (being the typical kiasu singaporean) and I forgot some of the essentials. 😦
If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to comment below.